10 May 2016

Distractions

I saw a single-word prompt today. It was simply: "Distractions"

It made me think of a story I heard once where "It was a dark and stormy night; but it shouldn't have been" was repeated over and over to bring you in and out of the work of a struggling writer. It was the opening line of his fictional world and the line that seemed to bring him back into his world, and slowly but surely it was the line that got blurred as he seemed to enter his fiction to deal with the real world.

It made me think about life. About how the distractions in life can be annoying, but sometimes they can be the catalyst for your next big step, or bring you to a breakthrough. That also led me to think about the life of a creative individual. Distractions are what life can feel like when you're working on something. Distractions are what your creative endeavor can feel like when you're dealing with life. Distractions can be the jobs that pay the bills before your "break". Each thing important, each thing vying for your attention.

Distractions can cause good or bad accidents. Distractions can bring joy or pain.


This is not at all what I intended to write about when I read the prompt: "Distractions". But there you have it, some stream of consciousness, sorta, for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment