03 September 2013

Winter? Is that you? or: when I was between jobs...

This is part 2 of a 5 part series looking back over my first year back in California, after my adventure to Scotland. To read part one, click here

In my thoughts and memories the months between my return to the states and mid-February seemed to last forever. However, upon closer inspection, that time is less than the time since February to now. I have a feeling that has a lot to do with both the wibbly-wobbly nature of time and with the variety, and a bit of anxiety that each day held.

Early on in my unemployment I decided to take a trip to visit my fellow adventurer, and recent re-patriate (like expatriate, but we came back...) Becky. It was so good to see her and be able to process, even if only a little bit, together. It was also good to get away, if only for a little.

During and after that trip I commenced the job hunt. It was crazy and strange, and definitely not a little bit annoying. When you've applied to every store in more than one mall/shopping district, you know you've hit some sort of desperation. Even though the only reply I ever heard from the companies I applied to was "Sorry", I fortunately was kept afloat by some freelance work.

I don't think I clarified this before, but from October until February I shared a studio apartment with my brother (properly designated Eric from here on out) and sister-in-law (Alexa). And while that time could have been difficult with all of us being busy and stressed and crammed into this small space, it remains a highlight of my year. I am beyond grateful for their generosity and moral support during that time.

Just prior to me moving in with Eric and Alexa, they had been working on starting a company, alongside their free-lance filmmaking work, and film equipment rental business. Things were always hopping at their place. By the time December rolled around they'd roped me into a few projects. Therefore, December through early February, I was able to add to my resume such experience as on set experience, production assistance, as well as some training in Modo - all of which enabled me to help them out with a few huge projects; ones with deadlines that weren't just looming but galloping full-tilt towards us.
One freelance job, as mentioned above, was 
production assistant/behind the scenes still photographer.
(Pictured above from left to right: Eric the DP, the actress, and Alexa Directing)


All the while, I was looking forward to February.

February was when a bit of Scotland was going to come visit me! Gillian and Calum came to visit! Although I needed a job and the funds, not having one while they were in town was great because I got to be an attentive tour guide and hostess. It was so fun showing them around my favorite state. I wish we'd had more time because California is a BIG place and, having a week prevents going to see some of the iconic Nor Cal sites/sights. But we saw the Hollywood Sign, Hollywood Blvd., Beverly Hills, The Getty, Laguna and Santa Monica Beaches (and at the latter G took surfing lessons!), ate at mostly local or California-original eateries, drove around the studios in Burbank and hoped beyond hope to run into Zachary Levi (because of Chuck).

I forgot to warn G&C that coming to So Cal in February meant 
the brief So Cal "winter". So here's our chilly afternoon at Laguna Beach.

Fortunately our 2nd beach trip was warmer and sunnier!


A couple of days before G&C arrived I finally heard more than a "Sorry" in response to one of the resumes I sent out. This cute little hipster homewares shop in Anaheim wanted to have me come in for an interview! So on their first full day in the state, I took G&C to Orange County, and they got to wander around the shop street while I interviewed. I was hired on the spot, but unlike the warehouse interview didn't start - thankfully - until after G&C's visit.


part one:here                                                                                                                        part three: here

No comments:

Post a Comment